Friday, April 1, 2011

Cataract Story

Once upon a time my moms baby sister had to bring my grandmother to the Mayo Clinic in Mn. to have cataract surgery. By train no less. All of the other siblings were off working or off to war and she was all that was left to accompany grandma to the clinic. It was a very new procedure at the time and she was very scared. She tried to cheer her mom up and told her to have faith, that all would be well and not be afraid as they were going to make her see again. Well grandma told her she wished that she had 1/2 as much faith as she did.
Well my aunt had grown up in a mining town and never traveled anywhere before this experience. They were on the train in a sleeping car and my aunt was the one who was now scared half to death. Grandma asked her what on earth is wrong child? My aunt replied, that man! That man is going to get me! You see my aunt had never seen a black man before in her life and she thought it was the "Bogey Man" that was going to get her. Grandma re-assured her that the porter was not going to do her any harm and to come to bed. It all turned out well and grandma did indeed get back her sight thanks to the surgeons at Mayo Clinic.

No comments: